Friday, 7 June 2013




1st entry.

At first I did not find the project and the whole idea very exciting and interesting, I was not looking forward to working on this project. I could not think how Filmmakers, Photographers and3D Design students can collaborate and make something together. But after meeting the Ffion, Owain, Rebecca and May at our first meeting I have changed my mind. After a brainstorm at the very first meeting, I left knowing that this project is going to be interesting and enjoyable, and even more than that I was very excited about it.
I brought up an idea of 3D students making something, Photographers taking pictures of this piece of art and I would film and edit it into a film.
Our group immediately came up with an idea of building a wall, so one side can represent past Hulme and the other side - present.

As I was walking to pick up my son from school I thought that it would be looking really good in a film if we would use my son as an actor for 'past' side and use Owain for 'present' side. With that we would be able to show that a little boy is looking in future, hoping for a better change, and Owain looking back in past, remembering how it used to be. My idea was to make my short film more interesting by making it look like Nikita (my son) and Owain is the same person. I couldn't wait to get home and share it with the rest of the group, luckily for me they loved it so we decided to stick to that idea.


     (A lot of our brainstorms were going through Facebook)

I have also researched about Hulme through various videos on www.YouTube.com and shared my great finds with the group.

Here is some of the examples I have found:











2nd entry.



I walked around Hulme to explore the architecture and the 'The Hulme Mural' got my attention.


















I have researched the Hulme Mural later and found out that the £20,000 ceramic mural was made out of two tonnes of clay, and was unveiled by the comedian Johnny Vegas who studied ceramics at university.
The wall of history was created by ceramics students at Hulme Education Centre to celebrate millennium, and it took two years to finish it. The wall shows the history of the community of Hulme starting from the Roman times and finishing with present time (Year 2000).





3rd entry.



We slightly changed the idea of the wall into a wall that was slightly demolished / crumbling from one side. That would represent past Hulme and demolishing of the Hulme Crescents.

Our original idea of a 150 centimetres wall turned into around 1 metre wall because of the clay bricks being so fragile.


I also had plenty ideas of how I wanted the film to look. I thought about mixing old Hulme footage with the new footage I film myself, I thought about using Hulme Crescents Demolishing footage but that would mean problems with the copyright and so on. I kept modifying my filming ideas until I came  up with something I did not wan to change anymore.
The idea was to make a short film about Hulme for projecting it onto the wall and while it is projecting film it with two of our actors by each side of the wall. I was also planning to edit it into a final short film later, possibly adding fragments from the first short Hulme film I have made by that point.



        Short film on Hulme I made for projecting onto the wall.






4th entry.




We have finally finished and filmed the wall and it went absolutely fantastic.

                                Preparing pictures to put on the wall.

                                Building the wall.

                                Pictures on the wall (it was hard to put pictures on the wall without shaking and
                                breaking it).



                                Projection of a short film I made especially for this project.




You can also watch a final film that was filmed by Josh Jarvis and directed by me (follow link bellow).

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf5uErPkJDE


                                Almost everyone from our crew.

Unfortunately I was not able to take a part in exhibition because I was hospitalised, and my recovery was not very fast, but I have been told it went fantastic.

In a conclusion I would like to say that I massively enjoyed working on this project and in my opinion our group worked together very well, bouncing ideas and considering each others opinions.








No comments:

Post a Comment